…we use your personal data so we can provide the best service, tell you about products and services you may be interested in…
These or similar statements are often “tiny printed” at most of modern sites as part of Terms of Service (ToS). Below we share with you what particular data are collected from web users or app users.
A. Information from your device
✓ Technical information:
- the internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the internet
- your log-in information
- the browser type and version
- the time-zone setting
- the device’s operating system and platform
- the type of device you use
- a unique device identifier (for example, your device’s IMEI number, the MAC address of the device’s wireless network interface, or the mobile phone number used by the device)
- mobile network information
- device’s mobile operating system
- the type of mobile browser you use
✓ Information stored on your device, including if you give access to contact information from your contacts list.
✓ Information about your visit, including:
- the links you have clicked on, through and from a certain site (including date and time)
- services you viewed or searched for
- page response times
- download errors
- length of visits to certain pages
- page interaction information (such as scrolling and clicks), and methods used to browse away from the page.
✓ Information on transactions (if a monetary online system), payments into and out of your account, including:
- the date, time, amount, currencies
- exchange rate
- beneficiary details
- details of the merchant or ATMs associated with the transaction (including merchants’ and ATMs’ locations)
- IP address of sender and receiver, sender’s and receiver’s name and registration information, messages sent or received with the payment, details of device used to arrange the payment and the payment method used.
✓ Information about your location:
If you have location services in an app switched on, your location is tracked using GPS technology.
B. Information from social media
Some web services also collect publicly available information about their web user. It’s done from selected social media websites or apps thru additional web searches, scraping. The sources are media stories, online registers or directories. This info usually includes:
- martial status
- family relationships